Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A delicious Arabian honey treat, and very quick and easy to prepare. The cake is buttery-eggy, and the topping is a chewy confection of butter, sugar, honey, almonds and cinnamon; Ed compares the topping to pecan pie, but it's much more caramelized and toothsome.
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup flour, plus
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Butter a 8"x8" square glass baking dish.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla together until the color"lightens" slightly; add melted butter and mix well.
- Combine the flour and baking powder, then add to the egg mixture; mixing gently but thoroughly.
- Pour into the prepared dish and bake 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the topping by melting the butter in a small saucepan, then adding the sugar, honey, almonds and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until thickened a bit (it doesn't need to reach a particular temperature).
- After the 12 minutes of baking, take cake out of the oven (it will look a lot like custard at this point) and gently pour the topping onto the cake.
- Return cake to the oven and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes.
I am having a grill party tonight and i thought it was interesting
We loved this! I wasn't really in the mood to make anything complicated and this was great. I did mess it up a little...pouring gently is something I'm not good at apparently, so there was crater in the middle...lol. I found it easier to spoon the syrup over. I've even got suggestions to try using cardamom or cloves next time. So you know there'll be a few next times. Thanks!
Not a rating yet for this wonderful cake??? I simply love this, made this three times, always perfect. Soft, sweet... perfect treat for a lazy afternoon. Or morning. And very quick. Just perfect!!