Zuppa Du Jour
I received an email from the www.sparkrecipes.com website this morning with this recipe featured. Here is what the chef says: Fantastic soup, try with other veggies that you like! NOTE: The only change that I am going to try is to use Jennie-O Lean Turkey Bacon.
- Ready In:
- 6 slices bacon, chopped (try Lean Turkey Bacon)
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped small
- 1 cup mushroom, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes (to taste)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 5 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup orzo pasta (or other small pasta)
- In a large stock pot, cook bacon until most of fat rendered. Add onions, garlic, carrots, celery, mushrooms and cook until onions transparent.
- Add red pepper flakes, oregano, basil and salt and pepper.
- Add chicken stock and stewed tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, and add pasta.
- Cook until al dente.
- Check for seasoning and adjust if needed.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I found my recipe in One of the Best of Bridge series. It is very similar to this one, with minimal differences. I love soups in the fall/winter and throroughly enjoyed this one. To save the pasta from getting soggy, I add the pasta to the pot, then remove it from the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes. Perfect each time! Thanks for posting for me!!!Reply