Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes & Cranberries With Toasted Pecans
photo by The Food Gays
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 20mins
- 3 sweet potatoes, uncooked, peel, and dice
- 1 cup cranberries, fresh or 1 cup frozen cranberries
- 1 apple, peeled & diced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, toasted
- Combine all ingredients, EXCEPT pecans.
- Toast pecans in the oven or dry skillet, set aside. Careful not to burn!
- Cook for 6 - 8 hours, until the yams are tender. I stir to combine every hour or so.
- About 1-2 hours before serving, if the mixture is too wet, prop the lid open a bit with a toothpick to let some of the steam out and thicken up the sauce.
- Put in your favorite serving dish and top with pecans for serving.
Had some left-over raw sweet potatoes and fresh cranberries from the holidays, and put this together. Left the crockpot on HIGH for 4 hours, and the aroma wafted through the house all afternoon ! Did not include the pecans, personal choice, and this made a lovely side to the pork tenderloin I had in the oven. It was not at all "wet" with the lid on, and will fix this when the family is here. Thanks for posting !
I made this for Christmas Eve dinner, and I was hesitant to make a holiday dish without a stick of butter or a block of cream cheese. What a surprise winner this recipe was! I've never cooked with fresh cranberries, and they were a wonderful tart balance to the sweetness of the taters and brown sugar. I will definitely make this again! Thanks!
see 12 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi there! Originally CHICAGOLAND CHEF DU JOUR, I like to think of myself as a fantastic home cook with a flair for the gourmet. I have gotten & shared many recipes since I became a member in 2007. Although I have not been active in a few years, I still return to look for recipes from some of my fave chefs. Thanks to all you have helped me over the years and thanks a bunch to any and all reviews.