Zupa Ogorkowa (Dill Pickle Soup)
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 25mins
- 2 1⁄2 quarts water
- 2 1⁄2 lbs pork spareribs
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled, quartered and sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 medium dill pickles, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- pickle juice (optional)
- Place water and spareribs in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Skim foam from surface until surface is clear. Cook, uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, celery, bay leaf, peppercorns and salt. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until meat is tender. Remove meat and bones. Reserve for another use.
- Add potatoes. Cook 20 minutes or until tender.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add pickles and saute until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add to soup. Bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and discard. In a small bowl, combine sour cream and flour until smooth. Stir 1 cup of broth into sour cream. Add mixture to soup . Simmer 5 minutes, but do not boil.
- Serve hot. If soup is not sour enough, add dill pickle juice to taste.
Join The Conversation
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I work in communications for a non-profit organization in Lincoln, Nebraska. I got married in October 2008 to my lovely husband, who benefits greatly from this Web site. We've been together since December 2006 and I have been cooking for him ever since we met. Thank you to everyone who has tried or is considering trying my recipes. <a href="http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/MidwestMaven/?action=view¤t=cookieswapparticip.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd235/MidwestMaven/cookieswapparticip.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">