Zucchini Fritters / Pancakes (Nigella Lawson)
These are light, simple, and delicious pancakes from "Forever Summer" by Nigella Lawson. They are delicate and flavourful, delicious eaten warm or cool with a dollop of fresh yogurt on the side. They make a lovely appetizer, or, with a side salad, a wonderful summer meal.
- Ready In:
- 4 zucchini (approx. 1 pounds)
- 5 -6 scallions, finely chopped
- 9 ounces feta cheese
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 small bunch of fresh mint, chopped, plus extra to sprinkle over at the end
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 3 eggs, beaten
- olive oil, for frying
- 3 -4 limes
- Coarsely grate the zucchini with either the grating blade in the food processor or by hand. Spread the little shards out on a tea towel and leave for about 20 minutes to get rid of any excess wetness.
- Put the chopped scallions in a bowl and crumble in the feta. Stir in the chopped parsley and mint, along with the dried mint and paprika. Add the flour and season well with salt and pepper. Gradually add the beaten egg and mix thoroughly before stirring in the drained, grated zucchini. Don’t be alarmed by the unflowing straggly lumpiness of this batter; it’s meant to be this way.
- Heat a few tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan and drop heaped dessertspoons of the mixture into the hot oil, flattening the little cakes down with the back of the spoon as you go. Cook these little patties for about 2 minutes each side until golden, and then transfer to a couple of waiting plates.
- Chop up the limes and tumble them about the edges of the plates. Sprinkle over a little more chopped mint and eat them just as they are, spritzed with lime juice as you go.