Yummy Yummy Cake
photo by crazycookinmama
- Ready In:
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 cup grated unsweetened coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice, drained (use drained pineapple in frosting and juice in cake)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges, undrained
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- Place a rack in center of oven and preheat to 350F.
- Generously grease two 9-inch round cake pans.
- Dust with powdered cake mix.
- Shake excess into mixing bowl.
- Set the pans aside.
- Blend cake mix, mandarin oranges with juice, melted butter, oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl with electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute.
- Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Beat at medium speed 2 to 3 minutes longer.
- Divide the batter between the two pans and place pans in oven side by side.
- Bake until golden brown and top springs back when lightly pressed with your finger- 24 to 27 minutes.
- Remove racks from oven and cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Run a dinner knife around the edge and invert each cake onto a rack, then invert them again onto a plate so they are right side up.
- While they are still warm, poke hole in the top of each layer with a wooden skewer.
- Pour the pineapple juice over the layers so that the cake soaks up all the juice.
- Let the layers cool for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting.
- Put all frosting ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir until well combined and pudding is dissolved.
- Place one cake layer, right side up, onto a serving platter.
- Spread the top with frosting.
- Place second layer, right side up, on top of the first.
- Frost the top and sides of the cake.
- Store this cake, lightly covered in wax paper, in refrigerator, up to one week.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is probably the moistest cake that I've ever eaten. Everything about this cake was phenomenal. All the flavors melded so well together, and the textures were great. I didn't have a yellow cake mix, so I used a Vanilla White Cake Mix. And I put slivered almonds around the side of the cake. Very Very Very good. Thanks for the fantastic recipe!