Yellow Split Pea Soup With Caramelized Onions
photo by Marysdottir
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 large carrots, diced finely
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cups yellow split peas, rinsed
- 8 cups broth (I use chicken but ham is good too)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and carrots and cook for about 60 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Do not let burn. Add the garlic, curry powder, ginger and serrano pepper. Cook five minutes and set aside.
- In another large pan combine peas and broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for about an hour or until peas are tender.
- Process in a blender until smooth or use an immersion blender. (I often skip this.).
- Stir onion mixture into the soup and add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cilantro if using but I usually don't bother. It's good either way.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!