Ww Spicy Corn on the Cob Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 6 medium corn on the cob, husked
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium jalapeno peppers, minced
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 cups canned chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, fresh, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, minced (optional)
- Remove corn kernels from cobs with a knife; reserve cobs and 1 cup of kernels.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add jalapeno and onions; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes. Add celery, cumin and turmeric; cook for about 1 or 2 minutes more.
- Add broth, water and cobs; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes; remove and discard cobs. Add corn (except for cup of reserved kernels), salt and pepper to soup; simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Puree soup until smooth in pot using an immersion blender (or in a food processor or in batches in a blender—but be careful not to splatter hot liquid). Garnish with red pepper, cilantro, scallion and reserved cup of corn; serve hot or at room temperature. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!