Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
photo by Funny Cooking
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients except sugar and yeast.
- Stir together thoroughly and form a well in center.
- Blend remaining ingredients and pour into well.
- Brush flour into liquid with fingertips until all flour is incorporated, then gather dough into ball.
- Knead on a floured work surface for about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Shape into ball, place in lightly greased bowl and turn once to grease entire surface.
- Cover bowl with clean towel, place in a warm, draft-free location and let rise until double.
- Punch down dough, form into a small circle and place on floured work surface.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then press out dough until it is slightly larger than pan size (use a rolling pin if you like).
- Fold dough in half and in half again.
- Place"wedge" onto greased pizza pan that's been"dusted" with corn meal.
- Unfold dough and crimp edges to form a crust.
- Top with favorite sauce and toppings and bake in 500 F oven for about 20 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I really enjoyed having a change of crust, and this one was not only good in taste but also in texture. It was not over crispy or deep pan, but just a normal hand tossed type of pizza. I ended up using malt flour instead of the wheat flour, but it seemed to work pretty well anyway. Generally, I'm glad to see some healthier options for pizza crusts out there. This is definitely one of the best! THANK YOU!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Zaar...Wow, what a place! I'm one of the old timers of Zaar. I can't count the number of wonderful dishes I cooked in the past few years since joining. Along the way I have had the pleasure of meeting several Zaar chefs. Talk about your fruits and nuts! lol. I have enjoyed meeting them all. Family: What's to say...I have had the same sweet husband forever (Good thing....I'd hate to have to break a new one in...=) and live close to a couple of grown children. (Maybe you've met Smoke Alarm Jr. ..her brown rolls are sooo good!) Therefore, my family gets together often to enjoy each other's company and cooking. My greatest joy is six "little to tallerthanme" kids running around calling me Grammy. They wear me out! lol For the past thirty years I have been a Special Education teacher for grades 9-12 and love it. Took some time off last year to recovery from surgery, chemotherapy and radiation for breast cancer. (Loved the radiation....I keep imagining that we are absolutely napalming the nasty cancer cells tohellandback to keep the little suckers from returning. =) My prognosis is good and now "I'm back in the saddle again". lol. Being a north country "gurl", I am happiest outside...walking, fishing, sitting in front of an outdoor fire or being on water (although in February it's a bit stiff....=0) When indoors I like to read, garden, knit, quilt and paint. During cold Maine weather I like to warm my feet on a very large ( 100 pounds of long legs and huge feet), sweet and furry golden retriever named Kerry (aka KTBRD: Kerry the big red dawg..lol) . In the summer, the dawg and I round up the grandkids, hit the local dairy bar for a Mounds Sundae that is to die for!!!=0) . Then spend a lot of long and lazy summer days at camp . All in all...Boy, Life is good! =)