Whole Wheat Butternut Squash Ravioli With Creamy Sauce
photo by abigler_06
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour, to work with
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- Mix both flours and salt together in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mix and crack all three eggs in the well.
- hand-knead dough or use a dough attachment on a mixer.
- If dough is too sticky to handle, add more flour until it is manageable.
- Roll out dough and cut into two pieces.
- Run pieces through a pasta machine, flattening each piece into a long sheet.
- Let them dry for 10 minutes, dusting the top and bottom with flour.
- While dough is drying, boil butternut squash in water until it is completely soft and easy to mash.
- Mash the squash in the pot.
- Saute the onion until caramelized and add it to the mashed squash.
- Add cheese and spices, and mix until blended well.
- Using a small spoon, scoop the filling in small dollops on one of the pasta sheets, placing each on 2 inches away from one another and at least 1/2 inch away from the edge of the pasta sheet. This should yield around 20 ravioli.
- When they are done, take the second sheet of pasta and lay it over the first sheet and the filling, making sure the sheet is not tightly lain over the filling, but rather draped over.
- Press down on the edges of the filling of each small lump, defining each ravioli placement.
- Use a pasta cutter to separate each ravioli from one another.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Drop around 6 ravioli at a time into the pot. When they rise to the surface they're done.
- Take them out and place them on a baking sheet.
- Turn the oven on to 375 and place the pasta in the oven.
- While pasta is warming, place milk into a sauce pan.
- Mix corn starch and vegetable stock together.
- Heat milk until it reaches a steady simmer.
- Add the stock mixture to the milk.
- Add spices and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Put on VERY low heat.
- Cut each cherry tomato in half and saute for 1-2 minutes on high in a frying pan.
- Take the ravioli from the oven and put on a plate.
- Whisk the sauce one last time and drizzle over the ravioli.
- sprinkle the cherry tomatoes on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Cooking is one of my many passions and hobbies. I love creating new, inventive things. My fianc? is French, I am a Kansan, and we are living in England, so I've encountered new and exciting ingredients to play around with.