Butternut Squash Ravioli
A knockoff recipe from a great little local pasta place. Goes with many different sauces: alfredo sauce, butter sauce, or even lightly tossed in sun-dried tomato oil.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated gruyere cheese or 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour, pre-sifted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- Steam squash until easily pierced with a fork.
- Mash squash, and add spices, cheese and salt and pepper.
- Cool, and prepare dough.
- For dough: Mix flour and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cilantro, eggs, and 1/4 cup water.
- In a food processor, pulse cilantro mixture until the cilantro is fine.
- Add flour mixture gradually until well mixed.
- Add water if necessary to obtain a stiff dough.
- Knead dough by hand, and leave rest in a covered bowl for 20 minutes.
- Knead again, and roll dough into a thin sheet, approximately 1/8 inch.
- Cut out an even number of circles in the dough.
- Drop a spoonful of filling in the center of each circle, moisten edges with water, and cover with a separate circle.
- Pinch edges together, and leave ravioli dry for about 2 hours, and refrigerate until needed.
- Cook ravioli in boiling salted water for about 15 minutes, drain, and serve with preferred sauce.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Wow! What a great recipe! I made a couple of variations. I added chopped spinach and mushrooms to the filling mix and I was more than generous on the spices. The dough is a good recipe but I recommend using a pasta maker as it's really hard to roll it out by hand. I used a four cheese sauce which sweetened the entire dish. I will surely make these again. Thanks...
Only rating the filling...which was Excellent!! Put 1 rounded tsp. in between 2 wonton wrappers for the "dough" and sealed with water. I used gruyere cheese sparingly and the filling was creamy and very tasty. This was a very easy way to use up the other half of some leftover butternut squash. Will be making again! Thanks!