White Wine and Garlic Steamed Clams
My boyfriend and I went to a restaurant in Newport, RI and got this dish so many times they finally gave us the recipe...we never went back because we make it so much at home! Easy and delicious...just have extra bread on hand for dipping!
- Ready In:
- 36 littleneck clams (I make about 3 dozen for 2 people)
- 6 -8 minced fresh garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat olive oil in large pan (use enough to lightly coats bottom -- about 3 TBSP).
- Saute garlic until a little soft (DO NOT let it brown).
- Place clams in pan on top of oil & garlic (try to place in single layer, but can be double on top of each other).
- Add enough white wine to barely cover/meet the middle of the clams.
- Add crushed red pepper and thyme (you can change the amounts to your liking -- I usually make it pretty spicy).
- Cover with a tight lid and steam until all clams have opened (I use a clear glass top so I can watch them and not have to take the lid off, but you don't have to).
- Poor into large bowl and serve.
- Enjoy with some crusty bread for dipping in the sauce.