White Sauce for Pork or Light Fish
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup light olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 fresh white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- Melt butter and whisk in olive oil and wine. Add mushrooms (chop the caps only, discard stems). Bring just to a boil, reduce to medium heat and simmer until reduced by half. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Whisk in flour until completely incorporated and no lumps remain. Stir in milk slowly, adding a few tablespoons at a time, stirring in completely with each addition.
- Slowly heat, stirring constantly, starting at medium heat, bumping up just a touch until you reach medium high. When you see it just starting to bubble, remove from heat but keep stirring for a few more minutes. Don't let it boil or the sauce will break.
- Add the pepper and whisk in the lemon juice. Serve over grilled or pan-seared light-fleshed meat or fish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!