White Bean Chili With Chicken (Paula Deen)
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups green chilies, chopped (fresh or canned)
- 1 lb chicken breast, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro leaf, chopped
- Rinse beans well, cover with cool water, and soak for 2 hours. Drain.
- Place beans in large pot with chicken stock and bring to a boil over high heat. In a saucepan, heat butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion, and chiles and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add chile mixture to pot with beans. Add chicken, cumin, oregano, pepper, white pepper, red pepper flakes, and cilantro.
- Lower heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with cornbread, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a great changed from the typical chili. Its also very easy and inexpensive to make, assuming you have all the spices on hand. The first time I made it I stuck to the recipe exactly. It was a bit to peppery (black pepper) for our taste and the black pepper seemed to overwhelm the rest of the flavors. The next time I made it I added a double dash of allspice and cut way back on the black pepper. It still had plenty of heat from the chilies and red pepper and the other flavors (cumin, garlic, etc) came through even more. Even the picky eaters in my family enjoyed this recipe. We will be making it often. Oh - and make a double batch! This is even better the next day!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a single mom to a wonderful three year old little boy. I love color and food and smell and taste...I just LOVE to cook! I have no formal training outside of my dad teaching me his techniques, but I seem to have a knack for making things that people rave over.