Weeknight Meat Sauce
- Ready In:
- 11hrs 30mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano (or 2 t. dried)
- red pepper flakes, a pinch (or to taste)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 slices high-quality white bread, torn into quarters
- 1⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2 lbs lean ground beef (85% lean)
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh basil
- Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add in onions, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, and red pepper flakes; cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce into slow cooker.
- Mash bread and milk into a paste in a large bowl using a fork.
- Mix in ground beef, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper using hands.
- Stir beef mixture into slow cooker, breaking up any large pieces.
- Cover and cook until beef is tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Let sauce settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Break up any remaining large pieces of beef with spoon.
- Before serving, stir in basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!