Watermelon Rind Jam
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
- Ready In:
- 24hrs 15mins
- 1 lb watermelon rind (measure after removing the green outer skin and all traces of pink)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 strip lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 melon seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 whole cardamom pods
- Cut rind into 1/3-inch strips. Cover in cold water and bring to a quick boil. Reduce heat, and let simmer slowly until transparent, about 30 minutes.
- Drain, and reserve 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
- In a heavy pot, completely dissolve sugar in reserved liquid. Add honey and lemon peel, and bring to a boil, skimming as needed. Add drained rind and seeds and boil gently over medium heat, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and set aside overnight.
- Boil again over medium heat, until syrup thickens, about 15 minutes. Test for doneness.
- Add lemon juice and mastic or cardamom 5 minutes before jam is done. Let jam cool completely then store in a sterilized jar.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Didn't like the texture and the taste wasn't really good. I have had Iraqi watermelon rind jam from the store and it is so yummy. The rind I used was pretty thin, some watermelons do have thicker rind, organic cane sugar, Billy Bee liquid honey, no melon seeds as the watermelon was seedless, freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus the rest of the ingredients. Made for WELCOME TO IRAQ! July 2012Reply