- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (18 ounce) package firm tofu, drained, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups portabella mushrooms or 1 1/2 cups shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (Hunts, use Petite)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup thin green onion, bias-cut
- hot cooked rice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees F or warm. Spray 9x9 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Stir together cornstarch, salt and pepper in shallow bowl; coat tofu cubes with mixture.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add coated tofu in single layer; sprinkle with remaining cornstarch mixture.
- Cook, without turning, 8 to 10 minutes or until browned; shake skillet once or twice while cooking to loosen tofu from skillet.
- Turn tofu over with turner and cook 3 to 4 minutes more or until browned. Remove tofu from skillet and place in baking pan.
- Add onions and mushrooms to skillet; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add undrained tomatoes, sugar and soy sauce to skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Pour tomato mixture over tofu. Place in warm oven 30 minutes to allow tofu to absorb flavor from the sauce. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!