Veggie Bran Muffins
- Ready In:
- 1 cup lite olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar or 1 1/2 cups Splenda granular
- 3 eggs (or egg substitute)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup natural bran
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup apple, shredded
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (optional) or 1/2 cup craisins (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup nuts (optional)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Combine oil,vanilla sugar. Mix in eggs.
- Add flour,baking soda ,baking powder, cocoa.
- Mix well & add carrots, apples, zucchini and any optionals.
- Adding 1/2 cup apple sauce makes it very moist.
- Mixture will be thick and not batter like. This is normal. They do not rise much so fill the muffin cups about to level of the top.
- Place in muffin pans with papers or spray silicone pans.
- Bake 28 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Tasty dense moist muffin. I used splenda and egg substitute to reduce calories so I can justify the chocolate chips.
- They freeze well and can be defrosted in micowave individually.
- optional substitute for spice muffin 2 tsp cinnamon & 1 tsp nutmeg for cocoa powder.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hi to every one. I live in the eastern portion of Washington State, 3 hours southeast of Seattle, 2 1/2 hours southwest of Spokane, and 4 hours east of Portland Oregon in the desert. Most folks do not know Washington State has a desert. We get 7 inches of precipitation a year. I live with my wonderful husband Steve in our dream house. I am a T-6 Paraplegic from a motorcycle accident in 1974 leaving me paralyzed from under the bust down. I use a wheelchair to get around so when we built our house in the spring of 2005 we made it fully wheel chair accessible. I love my new kitchen; I can cook up a storm. We have a lovely view of the Yakima River from almost every room. I can watch the river go by as well as wild life right out side my great room windows. Steve and I own a retail Billiard store selling pool tables, game room furniture and darts. We have one grown son who just turned 38 and has bought his first house with a girl who makes him very happy. We have one very spoiled dog, Maggie. Maggie goes to work every day to the billiard store as the official store dog. She has a sweet disposition. <br /> <br /> I love to cook and have quite an extensive cookbook collection. I pick cookbooks up on vacation, at thrift stores, yard sales, library sales you know how it is. I can?t leave Costco with out first checking out the cookbooks. Some of favorite cookbooks feature Pacific Northwest products. I like to try new foods and new restaurants. While vacationing in Greece, I fell in love with Greek food. Since then I try my best to cook Mediterranean whenever I get the chance, I like savory foods rather than sweets. My husband has the sweet tooth in the family. I read recipes for fun. Steve tells me, he thinks my computer has locked up on Zaar.</p>