Vegetable Soup With Eggplant (Aubergine) Dumplings
photo by CoolMonday
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups eggplants (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (cut in half, then quarter)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons wine
- 4 cups water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans (mash half of them)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes (changed from whole tomatoes..I agree with the reviewer)
- 3 celery ribs (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 carrots (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 sweet pepper (any color, cut in half, remove seeds, cut in slices)
- 2 cups green beans (cut diagonally into 1 inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup eggplant (chopped about pea size)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
SPRINKLE ON TOP
- 2 tablespoons feta cheese
- Peel eggplant, cut all eggplant into 1 inch cubes, sprinkle with salt.
- Put in a strainer to drain for an hour, then dry with paper towel. Put aside 1/2 cup for dumplings.
- Heat large pot and add olive oil.
- Add eggplant (all except the 1/2 cup), onion, garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add wine and reduce for 30 seconds.
- Add water.
- Stir in all garbanzo beans.
- Stir in remaining soup ingredients.
- Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer, until all vegetables are tender.
- Heat small pan on stove. Add olive oil.
- Saute eggplant for 3 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and milk in a bowl.
- Blend in eggplant and oregano.
- Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls onto simmering soup, about 12 dumplings.
- Keep in mind that the dumplings will expand as they cook.
- Cook 15 minutes uncovered, 15 minutes covered.
- Serve in bowls, sprinkle with feta cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is a warm comforting recipe ! I was searching for something warm and fairly easy to cook, I have been sick, it could possibly be allergies but I have flu like symptoms. Anyways, when I ran across this I pulled out the food processor to save on chopping time. I used 2 medium zucchinis, because I didn't have celery or green beans. I also made it vegan by using soymilk for the dumplings it came out great! I feel better already.
Absolutely delicious!!! I was drawn to this recipe because of the use of the eggplant in the dumplings....a very different idea, but one that works. The dumplings are tender, light, fluffy, and very yummy! I liked the soup too. The only thing I will do different next time is to chop the tomatoes a little more. This is definitely on my repeat list!! Thank you CoolMonday for sharing this wonderful recipe!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Sadly, CoolMonday passed away on November 16, 2007. She will be missed by her many friends at Recipezaar; and we're grateful for the fond memories we have. <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Animation1.gif" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com"><img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/4treasurehunt.gif" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com"> <img src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/berriesblinkie.gif" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com"> I'm the number one gramma of Rusty, Michael and Nikki. I know that because they told me so... hehehe...I live in the eternal city of lights, Las Vegas, Nevada. I stopped working about 3 years ago when I had some personal situations requiring my attention. I do love pizza, especially cold for breakfast the next day.. Since I discovered Zaar, I now prepare a large family meal once a month and I enjoy saving recipes and passing them on to my daughter. Most of the dishes are from Recipezaar.. so thank you very much. I have a good housekeeping cookbook that's about 40 years old and I love it... I have recipes I have saved over the years and have posted some of them. My pet peeve???? hmmmm that would have to be rude or inconsiderate people. Another pet peeve is people who "tell it like it is".