Vegan Mac & Cheese
photo by Sweet Potato Soul
- Ready In:
- 2 cups cooked butternut squash
- 1 clove roasted garlic (roast with squash 375 degrees F for 30 minutes)
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 1 cup unsweetened plain non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni noodles (1/2 pack)
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Mix the arrowroot in a small bowl with ⅓ cup of the milk. Make sure to get out the clumps. Set aside.
- In a sauce pot, warm oil or melt Earth Balance on medium heat.
- Add in the remaining soy milk along with the mustard, onion powder, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Stir in the arrowroot soy milk mixture, and continue to whisk to combine; over medium-low heat.
- Continue to whisk to combine the ingredients and thicken the sauce (will take around 3 minutes to thicken up).
- Meanwhile, cook your macaroni noodles al dente (follow package instructions––the shells I use cook for 13 minutes).
- Strain the noodles and place in a deep baking dish to cool.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender, then add the butternut squash and roasted garlic.
- Blend until smooth, and season with more nutritional yeast and salt to taste. It should be pretty salty to balance the noodles.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles, and stir well to coat every noodle.
- Massage the sliced brussels sprouts with olive oil, and a sprinkle of sea salt.
- Spread evenly over the macaroni and cheese, then sprinkle red chili flakes over.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!