Vegan “Crab” Cakes
photo by Sweet Potato Soul
- Ready In:
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, unsalted beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can hearts of palm, chopped into large pieces
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1⁄4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon vinegar, plum
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup for coating
- Place the chickpeas, hearts of palm, and jalepeño into a food processor and pulse to combine and mash. Don’t over process it though, you still want some crabby texture.
- Scoop the chickpea mixture into a large bowl and add the other ingredients. Stir well to combine.
- Place the remaining ½ cup of panko in a shallow dish.
- Heat an oil coated skillet on medium-high heat.
- Form the “crab” mixture into small patties–making sure to pack the mixture tightly, and then coat in the panko in the shallow dish.
- Pan fry for 3 minutes on each side.
- Do this with the remaining batter. I usually fit 4-5 patties on the skillet at a time. When they are cooked, transfer them to a plate covered with paper towel.
- Serve with a dollop of vegan mayo and fresh greens.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!