MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Serve as a first course before a turkey dinner.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 3⁄4 lb sweet potato, peeled and sliced
- 3 1⁄3 cups chicken stock or 3 1/3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk or 1 cup milk
- 1 granny smith apple, unpeeled, cored, and chopped (for topping)
- In a big soup pot over med heat, let the oil get warmed.
- Add in onion, garlic, and celery; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add in potatoes; stir to mix well.
- Add in stock, thyme, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to med-low and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Transfer mixture to a blender or food processor in batches; process until smooth (may use a stick blender). Return soup to pot and add buttermilk.
- Simmer 10 minutes or until heated through.
- Ladle into individual soup bowls; top with chopped apples.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Per my taste I doubled the amount of onion and used your buttermilk option. This is really delicious and freezes / reheats well. Having to get used to new dentures, I doubled this recipe and this was my staple meal for quite some time and I never got tired of it - it is so tasty! Thank you for a great recipe.Reply