Turkey Burger With Lemon Mayonnaise
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped granny smith apple
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 small canned chipotle pepper, in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground turkey breast
- 1 tablespoon minced flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 5 whole wheat hamburger buns, split and toasted
- 5 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 5 tomatoes, slices
- In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Add the sliced onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and softened, about 25 minutes. Transfer the onion to a bowl. Wipe out the skillet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil in the skillet. Add the celery, apple and scallions and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and add the chipotle; let cool. Stir in the turkey, parsley, 1 teaspoon of the lemon zest, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Shape the mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick patties.
- In the skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Add the burgers and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until no longer pink inside, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the remaining 1 teaspoon of lemon zest, the lemon juice and chopped thyme and season with salt and pepper. Spread the lemon mayonnaise on the top halves of the buns; set the burgers on the bottom halves and top with the caramelized onions, lettuce and tomato. Close the burgers and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!