Traditional White Bread
photo by fizzybrat
- Ready In:
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- In a large mixing bowl, mix yeast, sugar, and warm water. Wait until the yeast and sugar dissolve.
- Stir in butter, salt, and 2 cups of flour until well incorporated.
- Stir in the remaining flour ½ a cup at a time. Mix well with each flour addition.
- When the dough is pulled together, turn out onto a floured surface and begin to knead for 8 - 10 minute
- Place the dough (into a lightly oiled, large bowl. Turn the dough to coat with oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and allow to rise 1hr.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divided into two even loaves.
- Place loaves in two lightly oiled bread pans.
- Cover the loaves with damp cloths and allow them to rise 40min.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Bake at 375°F for about 30 minutes and the top is golden brown. The loaf should also sound hollow when tapped.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!