Tomato Rice Salad
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon spice essence or 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 small diced jalapeno (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minces
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium fresh tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 large cucumber, peeled,seeded and diced
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced (red/green or yellow)
- 1 cup green onion, sliced
- 1 cup radish, thinly sliced
- Bring water to a boil, stir in rice and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 20 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered 5 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, combine remaining 1/2 tsp. salt, lemon juice, cumin, garlic and olive oil.
- Stir into hot cooked rice.
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and chill several hours before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
This is a sensational salad, and very visually appealing, too. The flavors practically burst in your mouth! I used a long grain & wild rice combo and added slivered almonds, which could enable it to stand as a main dish salad. Mmmmm Mmmmm good! (P.S....and it doesn't take 2 1/2 hours to make...don't get scared...it's a piece of cake)
This is a great picnic or family together recipe. The cumin adds a great flavor. When I prepared this dish for a large gathering, I had so many requests for the recipe, even one from Hawaii. It is a great summer salad. Takes some time to chop all the veggies but it's well worth it. I left out the hot peppers, essence and cayenne pepper.