Tofu Mole Enchiladas
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Mexico meets Japan for this. I love Chicken Mole. This satisfies my craving for mole.
- Ready In:
- 8 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 large tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 4 ancho chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 4 guajillo chilies, stemmed and seeded
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 3 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 slices white bread, toasted and torn
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 24 ounces smoked tofu, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 16 corn tortillas
- Tortillas should be six inch size. Use cast iron.
- Heat skillet over med heat and add garlic and tomatoes. Cook 15 minutes turning frequently or until tomatoesa are blackened. Remove and cool slightly. Peel garlic. peel and core tomatoes. Place them and almonds and 1 tbsp seeds in food processor and make smooth mix. Set aside.
- Wipe out pan. Heat again over med high and add 2 ancho chilies to it flattening them with spatula. Cook until blackened on both sides. [flip em] Repeast with rest.
- Now do the same with gaujillo chilies.
- Combine them with the boiling water in a medium bowl; let stand 30 minutes. Strain chiles through a sieve into a bowl, reserving 1/3 cup soaking liquid.
- Place the chiles, reserved liquid, garlic, oregano, cumin, and cloves in food processor; process until smooth.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes or until browned. Place onion, 1 cup broth, cilantro, cocoa, cinnamon, and bread in food processor; process until smooth.
- Return onion mixture to pan. Add chile mixture; cook over medium heat 5 minutes. Stir in tomato mixture and 2 cups broth. Cook 30 minutes or until mixture is slightly thick. Stir in raisins, juice, sugar, and salt. Stir in tofu, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Heat tortillas according to package.
- Arrange about 1/3 cup mole down the center of each tortilla; roll up. Place rolled tortillas, seam-side down, on a platter. Top with any remaining mole, and sprinkle evenly with 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION