- Ready In:
- 500 g mascarpone (an Italian creamy cheese, you can substitute with ricotta, another Italian cheese, for a low-fat ver)
- 4 eggs
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup strong coffee
- 300 g ladyfingers or 300 g sponge cakes, cut in squares
- 3 tablespoons brandy (I personally prefer it without spirits) (optional) or 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur (I personally prefer it without spirits) (optional)
- beat sugar and egg yolks until white and frothy.
- whisk egg whites until stiff.
- fold mascarpone (or ricotta) into egg mixture.
- add egg whites carefully.
- pour coffee (and brandy or coffee liqueur if using) in a shallow bowl, dip biscuits (or pieces of sponge cake) in it, taking care not to soak them completely, and put them in a square tin (actually I make it in a glass loaf tin) in a single layer.
- cover with the cheese cream and continue layering the ingredients, leaving the cream on top, dust with cocoa.
- cover and refrigerate for a few hours or even overnight so that the biscuits have time to become moist and flavourful.
Join The Conversation
Very light and creamy. I used mascarpone cheese, and did add coffee liqueur. I think it`s a must. The egg yolks and sugar I cook in a double boiler wisking till all the sugat is dissolved and till a light butter yellow. Thanks for posting this recipe. I hope the picture does it the justice it deserves.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in a tiny flat in the center of Milan with my sweet dachshund dog named Penelope (Penny). I'm a doctor specializing in family medicine, though everybody tends to think I'm the nurse or the assistant, or perhaps even a student since I tend to look a lot younger than I am....everybody tells me I'm going to appreciate it, but for now I still find it a little annoying!! I've always loved cooking, when I was a child I wanted to be a patisserie cook (not sure the word is correct...), and I still can't understand how I got to be a doctor instead...anyway I still enjoy cooking at any time, and cooking for friends and family (Penelope included) is my weird way to show them my love (;P)