The Ultimate Stromboli
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1⁄4 lb hot capicola, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb hot sopressata, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb genoa salami, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb mortadella, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb boiled ham, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb provolone cheese, sliced thin
- 1⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, in jar
- 1⁄2 cup roasted green bell pepper, in jar
- 1⁄4 cup italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I use Cento brand)
- 1⁄4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1 pizza dough, ball from Italian deli
- 1. Mix grated onion & minced garlic in bowl. Set aside.
- 2. Set out all meats, separately, in columns.
- 3. Set out the provolone and the cheddar, separately, in columns.
- 4. Mix & drain peppers slightly (a tiny amount of juice will give flavor).
- 5. Once all ingredients are set out, knead the two pizza doughs together.
- 6. Very lightly flour a surface where you can roll out the dough with a rolling pin. Roll from the middle outwards until the dough is the size of your baking sheet. Mine was 12x16, more or less. It doesn't have to be perfect!
- 7. Lay the capicola down the left (long side) of the dough, slightly overlapping, from top to bottom, starting 1 inch in from edge of the dough.
- 8. Sprinkle with a little of the onion mixture, and a little of the pepper mix.
- 9. Next layer the Mozzarella in a narrow column from top to bottom, slightly to the right of the capicola you just did. Sprinkle with the red pepper flakes and a little italian seasoning.
- 10. Next layer the mortadela, a little onion & then a little pepper mixture, again, a little to the right of the mozzarella.
- 11. Keep adding columns of the ingredients from left to right, pecorino romano, sopresata, onion, peppers, cheddar, italian seasoning, boiled ham, onion, peppers, parmesan, italian seasoning, genoa salami, onion, pepper mix, provolone, italian seasoning.
- 12. You should be about 3/4 of the way across the dough by now. Don't go all the way across the dough because it will move over as you roll it later.
- 13. Now you roll it up slowly starting on the long side (where you starting the layering with the capicola.) You will notice that the ingredients are moving over slightly. No problem. Pinch ends and tuck under the roll.
- 14. When you finish rolling, sprinkle sesame seeds lightly over the entire roll, top, bottom and sides. Sprinkle fennel seeds on top only.
- 15. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray with non-stick spray and then place the roll on the foil.
- 16. Bake at 400 degrees until browned ( about 35-40 minutes). You just want to be sure that the dough is baked. Meats are already cooked. Cool about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!