Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Ready In:
- 7 fresh red serrano peppers or 7 Thai chiles
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Remove stems from chillies (leaving seeds in is optional) and place chillies and peeled whole garlic in a mortar and grind into a paste (some pieces of the chillies can remain visible).
- Or alternately, you may place in a small spice mill set on pulse.
- Combine ground garlic/chilli mixture with fish sauce, rice vinegar, water and sugar in a small saucepan, and whisk together.
- Set heat on medium, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring, until mixture has thickened and lightly coats the back of a spoon, about 15-20 minutes.
- Allow to cool, and store in a sealed container in the refrigerator until used.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I had dried hot chilli flakes and used about a tsp of that instead of the fresh chillis and am absolutely delighted with the sauce.... although I would have liked it to thicken up a little more than it did... the flavour is great and it is working well in my recipes. (It probably wouldn't work as well as a dipping sauce though because of the consistency).
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a longtime member since 2002. While I have many recipes here, most of my current recipes are on my food blog at palatablepastime.com I may occasionally post something extra I have here. If you have questions, you can always contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org