Thai Spring Rolls from Quick & Easy Thai Recipes
photo by Food.com
- Ready In:
For the Sauce
- 1 cup tamarind puree (page 32)
- 5 dried chilies, soaked
- 3 shallots
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup jaggery, palm sugar or 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 7 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fermented soybeans (page 10)
For the Spring Rolls
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded jicama
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 20 spring roll wrappers, sheets
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups boiled bean sprouts
- 1 cup crispy pork rind, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots (page 34)
- 4 oz/ 100 grams roasted pork, thinly sliced
- 20 cooked shrimp, halved lengthwise (prawns)
To Make the Sauce:
- Pound all the ingredients together in a mortar with a pestle until smooth. (Alternatively, combine the ingredients in a food processor and pulse to form a smooth paste.) Heat the sauce in a wok over medium heat, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until thickened. Remove from the heat and cool.
To Make the Spring Rolls:
- Heat the oil in a wok over medium head. Add the jicama and oyster sauce and sauté for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Soften a spring roll wrapper in warm water and lay out on a work surface. Put a little of the lettuce, bean sprouts, pork rind, fried shallots, and jicama in the center of the wrapper. Add a little sauce and top with a slice of roasted pork and 2-3 shrimp slices. Fold the bottom of the wrapper up and over the filling. fold the left and right sides in to create a package. Roll the package up toward the top and brush a little water on the top edges of the wrapper to stick the package together. Repeat until you have used up all the fillings. Cut the rolls in half and serve with the remaining sauce.
- Recipe courtesy of Quick and Easy Thai Food by Jean-Pierre Gabriel. Get the book here: https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Easy-Thai-Jean-Pierre-Gabriel/dp/0714873225.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!