Thai Red Coconut Curry
- Ready In:
4 cups of curry sauce
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (I use Thai Kitchen and I use about half of a 4 oz jar)
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 5 ounces bamboo shoots (canned, drained and rinsed)
- 5 ounces water chestnuts (canned, drained and rinsed)
- 1⁄2 - 1 1/2-1 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined) or 1/2-1 lb tofu (**Note -- Using any meat is OPTIONAL. I have lightly fried some tofu and used that instead for a mea)
- 4 -6 cups cooked jasmine rice
- In a large saucepan, over medium high heat, combine coconut milk and curry paste – heat and stir constantly until the majority of the paste has dissolved.
- And fish sauce and brown sugar, stirring until dissolved.
- Add bamboo shoots and water chestnuts.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- SKIP the following step if doing a totally meatless option.
- Add meat or tofu, stirring gently until well incorporated.
- Simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes, until heated thoroughly.
- Serve over rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Family tasted it but all thought way too sweet but good flavor and I liked the easy preparation. I will cut back significantly on the sugar next time. I used lite coconut milk and Splenda brown sugar. I added some soy sauce to counter the sweetness. No bamboo shoots in my pantry so I substituted baby corn and I had some kaffir lime leaves and so I added 4 of them. I sprinked some fresh cilantro on top right before serving. Thanks for posting! I will make this again with less sugar.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in NC and have an avid interest and love for cooking. Being a newlywed (married in May of '07), I'm always on the lookout for good, delicious recipes. I LOVE to cook and try my hardest to come up with new dishes for my husband.