Thai Mac and Cheese
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Mac and Cheese...with a twist!
- Ready In:
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium jalapeno, coarsely chopped, with some seeds to taste
- 1 medium gingerroot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 ounces Thai red curry paste
- 15 ounces coconut milk (not light)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1⁄4 lb fresh spinach, chopped
- Boil 4 quarts of water. Add salt and pasta, and cook to box instructions, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- Place garlic, ginger, and jalapeno in food processor and pulse until minced.
- Heat the broiler to high.
- In a large pot, melt butter and 2 tbsp coconut oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion and red pepper until starting to soften, about 5-7 minutes. Add garlic mixture and cook for an additional minute.
- Whisk in the flour and continue whisking for about 1 minute. Add the curry paste and keep whisking until combined.
- Add coconut milk and broth. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and then turn down to a simmer. Simmer until the mixture thickens, whisking occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Off heat, whisk in the cheeses and spinach and stir until melted. Add the pasta and toss to combine.
- Toss the panko with the melted coconut oil.
- To assemble, pour mac and cheese into a broiler-safe casserole dish, sprinkle with topping, and broil until browned.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION