- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 8 ounces cake tempeh (crumbled)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes (crushed)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 2 jalapeno peppers (seeded and diced)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro (fresh-chopped)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauce pan. Add the chopped onion, red and green peppers, Jalapeno and the crumbled tempeh. Stir fry for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in the cumin, garlic, salt, canned tomatoes, beans, cilantro and Chipotle chili if using. Allow this mixture to simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle with soy cheese if you like. Using a soy based cheese will keep this recipe Vegan.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> I was born in northern Ontario in Canada. I am of Irish /Spanish/French Canadian descent. In 2002, myself, my hubby Stu, and our dog Ginger moved to the high desert of New Mexico. I am a Domestic Engineer and a Professional Artist. I enjoy oldies, classical and jazz music. My hubby is a Professional Jazz and Classical Musician. He plays with the Albuquerque Philharmonic Orchestra which is wonderful because I get to see all his concerts and they are free! We are trying our best to live a Green and Sustainable lifestyle which is no easy feat in a desert. I love any cookbook that promotes good health and tasty meals. I enjoy pasta dishes and sweet vegan deserts. I have found that I am very successful in converting conventional recipes to vegan. This has allowed me to enjoy all types of foods that I other wise could not. Some day we would like to relocate to upstate New York and be closer to my family in Canada and my husbands in New York. My DH retires in 9 years, so nothing will stop us from heading home then :-)