Tandoori Masala (Spice Mix)
photo by dianna.connors
- Ready In:
1/3 cup (approximately)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (Lasun)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (Adrak)
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves (Lavang)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg (Jaiphal)
- 1 teaspoon mace (Javitri)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin (Jeera)
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander (Dhania)
- 1 teaspoon ground fenugreek (Methi)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (Tuj or Dalchini)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (Kalimirchi)
- 1 teaspoon ground brown cardamom (Elaichi)
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- Mix all the above ingredients (without roasting them first) and push through a fine sieve.
- Store in an airtight container and close the lid tightly after use.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My husband and I used this spice mix for a tandoori shrimp and vegetables yogurt marinade. We broiled the veggies and shrimp on skewers. The flavor from spice mix was so good we didn't want the incredible taste in our mouths to go away. Great spice mix! Great for marinades! Incredibly great aroma!!!
This spice mix was great! I had everything on hand except for the mace and the brown cardamom but it still tasted great with those omitted. I didn't add any food coloring to the spice mix because I added it directly to the tandoori chicken so I can't review how adding it directly affects the spices. Thank you!
I guess the mix is ok but this is not the full recipe for tandoori anything and the spice mix itself would be useless for most people. If someone knew nothing about indian cooking and tried to use it as described it would not be anything like indian food to be because there is NO heat. If you were to take this recipe and add it to 1 cup yogurt and 1/4 cup lemon juice and about 1/4 cup ground peppers (depending on what type of chillis you use and the amont of Heat you want.) and marinade what ever meat you are making then this would be useful. I give this a low rating because it is incomplete. A few lines of what you could do with the Masala would make it a truly useful recipe.