photo by PanNan
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 2 lbs chuck steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, juice drained and reserved
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon A.1. Original Sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- aluminum foil, 20 inch sheet
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Spread center of aluminum foil with butter.
- Cut steak into serving portions.
- Arrange on foil, slightly overlapping.
- Sprinkle with onion soup mix, mushrooms, green pepper, tomatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix reserved juice from the tomatoes, A-1 sauce and cornstarch.
- Pour over meat and vegetables.
- Bring foil up over and double-fold edges to seal tightly.
- Bake 2 hours in 350 oven.
- Carefully roll back foil and garnish with parsley.
- Note- During the last 1 1/2 hours, bake potatoes along side the meat packet and serve with this dish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Yummy! I've made this twice, both times in the pressure cooker. I didn't have time to do the foil packets & the pressure cooker worked out perfectly. I followed the recipie exactly the first time (except I omitted the cornstarch and added 1C of water needed to cook in the pressure cooker). The second time I added more bell pepper and it was just as fantastic. My husband & I loved it so much that I'll be making it often! It only takes about 40 minutes in the pressure cooker.
I was given this very same recipe 50 years ago and it is a family favorite. If you want an easy, fast recipe, just pull out a couple pieces of foil about 18" long. Use heavy foil or double the regular foil. Lay foil sheets, side by side and fold over long edge a couple times to make a long seam. Add the steak (it can be a inexpensive steak or roast), sprinkle on the onion soup mix and add your veggies and top with the drained juice from tomatoes which you mixed in the cornstarch and a-1 sauce. I always use canned mushrooms (stems and pieces) because I have them on hand. Serve over rice. Just roll up the foil and toss.....no mess....no pan to clean. I've tried cooking this recipe in a casserole dish. It doesn't get as hot. The meat doesn't get as tender. and .........it doesn't taste the same. Use Foil!! You can have this in the oven (from start to finish) in 15 - 20 minutes!