Sweet & Sour Spiced Red Cabbage
photo by The Spice Guru
- Ready In:
- 1 cored red cabbage (finely shredded, or chopped)
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 slices chopped bacon
- 1 tart apple, cored, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- fresh ground sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground white pepper, to taste
- NOTE: IF HALVING THE RECIPE, THE PROPER AMOUNTS OF SUGAR AND VINEGAR SHOULD BE 8 TEASPOONS (2 TABLESPOONS PLUS 2 TEASPOONS). CABBAGE MAY BE SHREDDED OR CHOPPED USING A FOOD PROCESSOR. (STEP ONE): CORE and shred (or chop) the red cabbage.
- PEEL and core the apple, then chop finely; PEEL and chop one small onion.
- SQUEEZE enough lemons to yield 2 tablespoons juice, if using fresh (bottled juice okay).
- MELT butter in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat.
- ADD cabbage and cook until just softened, stirring often (or, cook 4 slices chopped bacon in skillet until crisp, then begin sauteeing cabbage).
- ADD the apple, onion and sugar, then continue cooking 5 minutes.
- ADD the remaining ingredients.
- COVER and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- ADJUST seasoning to taste and accompany with with a pork or beef main course.
- SERVE and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Mathematician... Metaphysician... Magician in a test kitchen