Sweet and Sour Kielbasa
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 30mins
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 0.5 (28 ounce) bottle ketchup
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 1 lb turkey kielbasa, cut into 1 inch pieces
- artificial sweetener, to equal 1/2 cup of sugar
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Sauté onions until soft and translucent.
- Add brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and pepper sauce. If using sucralose, acesulfame or saccharine, add it at this point also. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Put sausage in a slow cooker. Add sauce and onions. Cook on low 4-8 hours.
- If using aspartame, stir in just before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!