Sweet and Sour Beets
photo by Annacia
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine or 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water, that you used to cook the beets with
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups cooked beets (sliced or diced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 -2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- black pepper
- In a bowl mix together the sugar, cornstarch and salt; stir in a little of the wine or vinegar to make a smooth paste.
- Slowly drizzle in the remaining wine or vinegar and the water (adding all the liquid at once can produce lumps in the cornstarch).
- Transfer the mixture to a saucepan; cook over low heat stirring and scraping bottom of the pan often.
- Cook until liquid is clear (about 5 minutes).
- Stir in cooked beets, butter and orange zest; stir until the beets are heated through.
- Season with black pepper is desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wonderful recipe! I used fresh beets. After a quick zmail to KITTEN I know that cooking beets is as EASY as cooking potatoes. Boil until fork tender. I left mine un-peeled and the skin just fell off! This was a wonderful additional to our holiday ham dinner. I had to use rice wine vinegar because that was all I had, just delicious! DO add the orange zest, it adds a wonderful depth to the flavor. Thanks Kitten for another wonderful addition to our family meal.
see 3 more reviews