Swedish Yellow Pea Soup (Emeril Lagasse)
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 55mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pinches ground cloves
- 3 ham hocks
- 8 -10 cups water
- 1 lb dried yellow peas, rinsed and picked over
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a soup pot or large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onions, celery, and carrot and saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger and cloves and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the ham hocks and water and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until hocks are beginning to get tender.
- Add the peas and black pepper and continue to simmer for 2 hours. Remove the ham hocks and set aside to cool slightly.
- Puree the soup in a blender, or use an immersion blender, working in batches if necessary.
- Return the soup to the pot and keep warm until ready to serve.
- If the soup seems too thick, thin with a bit of water.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- When the salt pork is cool enough to handle, remove any visible fat or gristle and discard. Shred the meat and garnish each serving with some of the meat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hello all, being from California, I can honestly say I am a foodie. You can walk by construction workers here and hear them saying things like, So I used some fresh garlic and olive oil, then threw the rest into the pan to sautee. LOL I love all kinds of food, and trying to eat healthier as I get older, but still indulge in the occasional deep-fried food or sweet. <br />I LOVE this site! I have 3 or 4 other food sites such as Epicurious and Food Network, but I always come back here! The ease and all of the features just can't be beat. <br />Thanks Zaar and I look forward to participating more.</p>