Ärtsoppa: Swedish Yellow Pea Soup
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1 lb dried yellow peas (whole if you can get them, but split ones work just as well) or 1 lb green peas (whole if you can get them, but split ones work just as well)
- 8 cups water
- 2 finely chopped onions (2 cups)
- 1 peeled whole onion studded with 2 clove
- 1 large chopped carrot (1/2 cup)
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 -3 ham hocks
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- grainy brown mustard
- Rinse and pick through the peas. If using whole peas, allow to sit in the water you'll use for your soup overnight. This is unnecessary if you're using split peas as long as you simmer the soup for 2-3 hours.
- Fill a large pot with 8 cups water (or 6 if you like a thicker soup, then add water to taste). Add the peas, chopped onions, whole onion with cloves, carrot, and ham bone to the pot. Bring to a boil, then simmer over low heat for 90 minutes.
- If using whole peas, skim off any pea skins that have risen to the surface.
- Remove 2-3 cups of the soup, purée it, then return the purée to the pot. Continue to simmer at least another 30 minutes.
- 30 minutes before serving, remove the studded onion and the meat. Chop the meat (should be about 1 cup) and return to the pot.
- Season with thyme, ginger, salt, and pepper. Simmer 15 more minutes.
- Serve with mustard on the side so it may be added to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Recipezaar to learn new recipes that are home cooked. I grew up having ready-meals like Encor and Stouffers and needed recipes that don't simply require opening a box and plopping in the oven! I enjoy cooking when I have the time to try new dishes. I make every recipe as written if I'm reviewing it to give a true review. If I make alterations that aren't in the directions, I don't feel it's a true reflection of the recipe; it's another recipe to me. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/chefpaulag/final-1.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/captain.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/329769/ninja%20bmp.jpg" width=75%> (Zaar World Tour 4) <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg"> <a href="http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/?action=view¤t=cunningcrocodiles.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y254/Missymop/cunningcrocodiles.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a> <img src="http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/jewelies/DSC_0020.jpg"> (Australia/New Zealand Swap #15)