Swedish Hardtack - Grandma Forss' Recipe
photo by Karen H.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 5 1⁄2 cups course rye flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (do not substitute)
- 2 cups buttermilk (can make your own with low or full fat milk and 2 Tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, Combine all dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. A Kitchenaid works best.
- Alternate adding the melted butter and the buttermilk to the dry ingredients until dough is very sticky and tacky but quite firm. It won't pull away from the bowl like a bread dough would.
- Generously flour work surface with whole wheat or rye flour. Use a regular rolling pin to roll out a sheet large enough to cut out (6) 5" rounds at a time. I make mine 5" round with a 1 inch hole in center. I like them thin, less than 1/8 thickness. After cutting out rounds, roll over them with your deep-notched hardtack rolling pin. If you do not have one feel free to prick rounds with a fork to prevent bubbling.
- Back in a 425 deg. oven for 8 to 12 minutes depending on thickness.
- After all are baked, turn the oven down to its lowest setting (150-170) and bake for an additional hour to make crackers extra crispy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!