Hot Coffee Chocolate Cake
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Adapted from Jennifer Hill, Foodess
- Ready In:
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (or substitute by putting 1 tbsp white vinegar in a cup then filling the rest up with milk, let stand)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot coffee (or 2 tsp instant coffee in 1 cup boiling water)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the large bowl of a standing mixer, stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, melted butter and vanilla extract and beat until smooth (about 3 minutes).
- Remove bowl from mixer and stir in hot coffee with a rubber spatula. Batter will be very runny.
- Pour batter evenly between two 9" pans (or use cupcake liners) and bake on middle rack of oven for about 35 minutes (18 min for cupcakes), until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs attached.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes in pans, then run a butter knife around the edges of each cake.
- Place a wire cooling rack over top of each pan. Wearing oven mitts, use both hands to hold the racks in place while flipping the cakes over onto the racks.
- Set the racks down and gently thump on the bottom of the pans until the cakes release. Cool completely before handling or frosting.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This cake was awesome!! So rich and moist. My niece and husband said it was the best chocolate cake they ever had! I am new at baking and this turned out perfect! Topped it with homemade chocolate frosting and mini chocolate chips!! It was gone in a day!! We loving named it: Decadently Delecious Double Layer Triple Chocolate Cake!!!Reply