Sunday Stew for the Slow Cooker (Crock Pot)
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 4 medium potatoes
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 large onions, cut into large pieces
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, you can also use black
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet basil
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 dashes onion powder (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- First in a skillet on the stove add the olive oil and brown your stew meat. Next cut up your veggies & place in a large bowl. You want your pieces to be on the large side since this will be cooking for at least 6 or 7 hours, too small and they get kind of mushy. Add your stew meat to the veggies.
- Next in your crock pot add the tomato sauce, then mix your tomato paste with the hot water and add to the sauce. Then add your seasonings. Mix well, then add your bowl with the veggies and the meat. Mix this all together and cook for 3 hours on high, then switch to low for another 3 or you can also do 8 hours on low. About half way through I break the cardinal rule and stir my stew and check my spices, adding what I think it may need :) it has never been a problem and the stew turns out yummy. If you like a thinner sauce for your stew add only 2 cans of tomato paste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I wish there were more stars to give, this was excellent. I liked the difference in the tomato sauce and to DH & I it didn't come across as pasta sauce as someone else mentioned. I mean its tomatoes so yes there is a bit of a sauce element but we love chili for the same reason :) Only thing I did was to add some peas when it was almost finished. Thanks Carb Lover for posting this
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I like to refer to myself as a Mis-Placed NYer. I have been living here in Northern VA for 12 years now and go back to NY whenever I can. I work as a Human Resources Analyst. I love where I work, and the people there are wonderful. They also love to eat which is perfect since I love cooking. We have potlucks all the time. I'm always on here looking for something interesting to make. I have posted some recipies as well that I hope (if you try them) you enjoy. I live with my husband and our spoiled kitty Harley. I also enjoy reading, singing, theater and going for long drives especially in warm weather when the convertible goes down and the wind is in my hair.</p> <p>It's hard to write about yourself LOL I can be a bit loud and love to laugh. I make my own greeting cards which I find very rewarding. I have tattoos and am what one would call a BBW. I have no problem with that, and if others do well thenit's their loss for judging me without knowing me. Don't you hate when people do that? Oh well..drop a line if you like. I love meeting others and love trading ideas around.</p>