Sugar Cages (A La " Bridget Jones")
- Ready In:
4 sugar cages
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2⁄3 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- cooking spray
- Put sugar, corn syrup, and water in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Insert a thermometer and cook the sugar mixture until it reaches 311°F.
- Remove from the heat and pour into a medium microwaveable bowl.
- Lightly coat bowl that matches whatever you're placing the sugar cage over with cooking spray.
- Dip the prongs of a fork into hot sugar.
- This is the hard part: carefully but quickly wave the fork over the inside of the bowl, allowing the sugar to drip off fork in long, thin strands.
- Try to do the strands evenly on the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Making sure to come all the way to the rim, but not so thick that you can't see the bowl through the sugar.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the edge of the cage clean by scraping the blade of the knife along the rim of the bowl.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- To get the cage out: place your thumbs on the outside of the bowl and your fingers on the inside of the sugar cage.
- Gently pull the cage loose from the side and bottom of the bowl.
- Apply this same pressure all around the inside of the bowl.
- After the cage out of the bowl place it over the dessert.
- WARNING: If the sugar is still too warm, the cage will begin to collapse.
- You should let the cage cool completely first before removing it.
- This will make sure it keeps its shape.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I think I need more practice with these! I had a little touble getting these out the bowl with out breaking:-( I think maybe next time I'll try it with a bit of oiled foil on the outside of an overturned ramekin. That way I can lift it off the bowl easily and then peel away the foil. Well that's my theory anyway we see how it plays out in real life:-)
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Very busy nanny/au pair, working for a very rich and snooty family, in a very large home, in a very snooty village. Just in case my employer comes here, please don't ask where I am from, or I'll be sacked like the last nanny was. ;-) I take care of 4 gorgeous, and darling kids. 3 girls and a boy. The boy is the youngest (and my favorite). They are great children, very, very active. (Hyper) I love to cook. I guess that's a given, why else would I be here. Part of my job is also to prepare meals for the family. The more they like my food, the longer I get to stay. (just a little joke) On my day off, I usually go out to the cinema or some dance clubs with the other au pairs in this town. That's about it I think.