Stuffed Cabbage Stoup
photo by CookingONTheSide
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup raw white rice
- 1 quart chicken stock (plus 2 cups)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground meatloaf mixture (a combination of beef, pork and veal)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika (or sweet if you can't find the smoked)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced with a vegetable peeler into strips, then finely chopped
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 head savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons dill, finely chopped
- Heat a sauce pot over medium-heat 2 T olive oil.
- Add the rice and toss to coat in oil.
- Add 2 cups chicken stock, bring up to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 16-18 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Heat a deep pot over medium high heat.
- Add the remaining olive oil, once hot add meat and begin to brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Season the meat with allspice, coriander, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add bay leaf, onions, garlic and carrots.
- Cook veggies 2-3 minutes to begin to soften them, then add cabbage and wilt it down a bit.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and remaining stock and cover the pot.
- Raise the heat to high and bring the soup to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, add to the soup and continue to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and dill, adjust salt and pepper to your taste and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!