String Beans / Feijao Verde Ou Carrpato Guisado
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs green beans
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 lb tomatoes, peeled seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- Cut the beans into 2 inch lengths and cook uncovered in plenty of salted boiling water until barely tender , about 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water and set aside.
- Heat butter in a large skillet.
- Add the onions and parsley and saute until lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the beans , vinegar , salt. pepper and nutmeg and toss until beans are heated,
- Serve immediately.
Join The Conversation
Just the right extra flavor for an old standby. We really enjoyed the addition of the vinegar and parsley. (I thought there was way too much parsley when I added it, but it cooked up just right.) The serving size may be a little large for a side - we got four comfortable lunches of just this dish, no main course.