Strawberry Margarita Jam
Margaritas...if you like the drink, you will love this jam. Try it as a topping for cheesecake or mixed with cream cheese on bagels. Recipe is from a friend that know how much I like "different" kinds of jams and jellies. :o) cook time does not include time for water to boil in water bath canner
- Ready In:
- 3 cups strawberries (crushed)
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 2⁄3 cup tequila
- 1⁄4 cup orange liqueur
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package liquid pectin
- NOTE: Do NOT use a food processor to crush strawberries or you will get puree and jam will not have a good texture. Use a potato masher.
- In a large pot, mix together strawberries, lime juice, tequila, and orange liqueur.
- Stir in sugar, bring to a boil over high heat.
- Stirring constantly.
- Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and immediately stir in pectin.
- Skim off foam.
- Stir for 5 minutes (this will prevent floating fruit).
- Ladle into sterilized jars to within 1/4 inch from rim. Wipe rims clean. Apply lids and rings. Tighten to fingertip tight.
- Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Rated 4 stars for taste, but the process is off - as mentioned before, probably due to the alcohol and the waer content of the strawberries. I have made it 3 times and finally decided to use an old trick that I gathered from my grandmother's notes in her 1960's Good House Keeping Cookbook (my go-to source for info). She would test her jellies and jams for consistency by mixing 1 tsp of prepared contents with 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol and if the mixture set up, then the pectin was correct and the jam would set. Initially this one failed miserably, but adding small amounts of liquid pectin and testing to consistency made a FINE JAM!Reply
I made this jam according to the recipe. I was surprised that it didn't have the jam put back on heat after adding the pectin for a minute like all of the other jam & jelly recipes call for. So far, my jam has not set. It is very syrupy. I'm a little disappointed. Too much money put into this jam for it not to come out right. I will try it again, but I will boil for another minute after adding the pectin.2Replies 1