photo by GiddyUpGo
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 55mins
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 large leeks, white and light green parts
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- fresh ground black pepper
- Boil the potatoes with the salt. Drain and run through a ricer or mash.
- Meanwhile, rinse the leeks thoroughly and slice them into rings.
- Melt the butter in a large pan and add the leek slices. Cook for five minutes or until soft, continuing to stir (you don't want them to brown).
- Add the chicken stock, cream, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring just to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain off the liquid, reserving it, and add the leeks to the potatoes.
- Return the sauce to the pan and bring it back to a boil. Continue to boil, stirring continuously, until the sauce is reduced by half. Then add it to the mashed potatoes (you can also add some extra butter and cream if the mixture is too dry).
- At this point you can either serve, or you can turn the stoemp into a baking dish and bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours (this will give it a crispy top).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a mother of two with another one on the way! I am married to an Englishman and we own a small business in our local area. We live in a very small town called Rough and Ready (yes there really is a place called Rough and Ready!) I am a part-time writer and full time mom. My kids were born 15 months apart and keep me so busy I barely have enough time to cook and no time at all for my other passion, horseback riding. I once had four horses but am down to two; my Arab mare Argo and old Denver. Both of them spend the vast majority of their time standing around in my back yard eating hay. I get to feed them and look at them, but until my kids are all in school (and I stop having more kids) that's about it. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">