Steak Madrid of Blairtown
photo by Thyme Savours
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 lbs top round beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1 (7/8 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- 1 cup beef broth
- shredded cheddar cheese (to your taste)
- kosher salt
- fresh chives
- olive oil
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Dice onion finely.
- In bowl or prep dish, add flour and season generously with salt and pepper and combine thoroughly.
- Dredge cutlets on both side in flour mixture.
- In saute pan, coat bottom with Olive Oil, heat to medium. Test to see if pan is hot, simply take a bit of flour and if it sizzles, it is hot enough. Once hot, brown each side of the cutlet (approximately 2-3 minutes). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Turn burner to low and melt butter. Once melted add the red wine and deglaze pan. Once liquid is approximately reduced by half, then add onions and cook until translucent. Then add tomato sauce.
- Meanwhile in glass measuring cup, whisk gravy mix into beef stock. Once blended, combine with sauce on cooktop and lastly add Green Chiles.
- Allow sauce to boil and remove from heat.
- In oven proof pan, pour sauce into the bottom and place cutlets into the sauce.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Once 45 minutes has elapsed, remove from oven and add cheddar cheese to the melt.
- Return to oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve over rice and garnish with fresh chives.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!