State Fair Blue Ribbon Caramel Corn
photo by Brittani B.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
2 gallons or so
- 2⁄3 cup popcorn, popped (I do 1/3 cup at a time in the Whirly Pop)
- 1 cup nuts (optional, but pecans are nice)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup unsalted butter (plus a little more for the pans or just spray them)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt (up to 1/2 tsp if you like the saltiness)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pop the corn, pick out the old maids, and keep warm with nuts in a roasting pan in the oven @275*. Butter two sheet pans.
- Stir the sugar, butter, corn syrup and salt together in a 4 - 5 cup heavy bottomed pan over low heat until the sugar melts. Increase heat to medium and constantly stir until the mix reaches a rolling boil. Boil 4 minutes and remove from heat. Add in the baking soda and vanilla and stir to make sure the soda is thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour caramel over the warm popcorn and stir gently (so you don't break the popcorn) until it is completely covered in caramel. Divide between the two sheet pans and bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Don't skip the stirring.
- Cool on waxed paper to room temperature. Store in two zip lock gallon baggies.
- Hope you love this!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hello Zaars and Zaarinas! Thank all of you who tried my 'memory' recipes and left such nice reviews and for taking such lovely pictures. I do appreciate your comments. My pet peeves about cooking are recipe reviews where the reviewer says, "I made the recipe exactly as written EXCEPT yada yada yada" and I don't like suggestive names or titles such as, "Better Than Sex". I don't know why anyone would eat anything that is 'sinful' or 'decadent' since decadent is described as being decaying. Also, PAP-RI-KA only has 3 syllables. VINAIGRETTE is pronounced vin-a-grette, not vinager-ette. It's mas-car-pone not mars-ca-pone. And I don't like cutesy adult baby talk,,, or metro chic names like delish, nutrish, yummo, sammy, BAM! Oh well, I make as many, or more, faux pas as the next guy especially in ASL! Things that crack me up are: DH Fred from youtube.com Nick, my nephew Fish and Poi song as performed by PoiBoi My possum recipe per the song on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVvL4-srt6U http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpbyM8k7e2Q wow this is good! my Doggie Little Yellow Petey Bird on youtube My BFF's. all of them and there are so many! and my little Sister Mary Beth. She has MS and Lupus and a great attitude. <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/PAC08Main.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg">